Collagen - What's the Deal?
You've probably seen it everywhere - in smoothies, coffee, capsules and more. But, what's it's benefits?
Collagen is super critical in helping build strong and healthy hair, nails, skin, bones, joints and more. Most diets right now contain a minimal amount of collagen and our bodies cannot synthesize enough of it on their own, which is why adding it into our diet through supplements is super important.
- Enhance Hair, Skin & Nails: these added nutrients are great for promoting health hair and improving dull skin and brittle nails
- Digestion & Gut Health: Naturally occurring amino acids in collagen peptides provide a strong line of defense for your gut.
- Boost Joint Health: Help improve joint health.
There's a few ways I incorporate it into my day - and I switch it up because let's be honest, I get bored easily 😜
You can use regular unflavored collagen (which is what I used to use before this next item was released) OR these amazing collagen creamers that Vital Proteins just released. They come in three flavors - gingerbread (hello, pumpkin spice latte), coconut and vanilla and not only do they have collagen in them, but also TEN grams of protein.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
1 cup of coffee
2 scoops coconut collagen creamer
1 tablespoon homemade pumpkin spice creamer (see recipe below)
dash of cinnamon
put all ingredients in blender and blend until frothy heaven
Collagen also goes seamlessly into smoothies! I use these collagen peptides and add 2 scoops to every smoothie! Here's a couple of my fave recipes:
- Frozen pineapple and kiwi
- 2 handfulls spinach
- 1/2 banana
- 2 scoops collagen peptides
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- Blend until combined & enjoy!
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 2 scoops dark chocolate collagen whey
- Tbsp peanut butter
- Blend until combined & enjoy
Rich in biotin and Vitamin C, these pills are a life saver. They offer the keys to helping the body produce collagen. Oh - and it's a 100% vegan & natural supplement.
- Made from Organic Ingredients
- Vitamin-Rich: 500% DV Biotin, 300% DV Vitamin C and 100% DV Vitamin E
- Collagen Boosting: Aids in boosting natural collagen production for healthy hair, skin, and nails
No preparation required- just take 3 capsules per day!
Pumpkin Spice Creamer Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened pumpkin puree (I make mine homemade, but you can buy it canned- just make sure it's not sweetened)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more!)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or you can use coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup milk (you can use evaporated milk, 2% milk or coconut milk too!)
- 2 tbsp liqueur (grand marnier, brandy etc)
- Combine all ingredients over medium heat and let them come to a simmer/light boil and whisk until thick
- Let cool & store in the fridge in a mason jar
- Add to any coffee, hot cider or fall beverage!
- ***Please note this creamer tends to be a little thicker than others, as it has a good amount of pumpkin puree. Especially once you refrigerate it- prepare to stir it when you take it out of the fridge, and before pouring into your coffee. If you put it into your coffee WITHOUT blending it in a blender, prepare to stir a bit longer until it dissolves.
I hope this helped answer some questions about WTF is the deal with collagen, and why it's important. Also - let me know if you try any the recipes and what you think. My next endeavor will be a baking post with the collagen and whey protein =)